11/19/16 - Tillamook Play Dat at the Three Graces

  • November 20, 2016 6:41 PM
    Reply # 4402850 on 4365683
    Trip Report: Tillamook Bay / 3 Graces
    • November 19, 2016
    • We launched at the Garabaldi kayak launch around 11:00AM.  The group paddled out to the 3 graces.  As we paddled out the wind quickly increased to upper level 2 and continued to slowly build over the duration of the trip.  There was a surprising amount of energy coming into the graces compared to past trips to the same location.  Swell was predicted as SW 10'-11' @ 11 seconds and W 5' @ 15 seconds on the outside.  The S/SE wind also made positioning for moves a little difficult.  After some play, we decided to head to the south side of the channel. There was a nice little race that had developed off the point on the south side. We then west to take a lunch break at the west / most protected portion of the large cove.  After lunch we spent time playing at the race which had moderated quite a bit compared to earlier, but was still fun and surf-able.  By this time the winds had developed to upper level 3 at 16-18 mph with higher gusts. Several participants were a little fatigued so a decision was made to head back a little early..  We were off the water by 2:30 or so.  After loading up, all participants made a stop at the Pelican in Tillamook for some post-paddling libations.
    • The only "unexpected" conditions were the amount of energy making it in to the rocks.  I've been there on an 18' day, (though I don't remember the direction or period - it was long though), and it was milder.  Also, the race was quite entertaining earlier in the tide cycle.  It was partly due to the opposing wind though.
    • No rescues & no incidents
    • Overall rating of the trip as paddled - Level 3
  • November 05, 2016 8:04 AM
    Reply # 4365684 on 4365683
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Trip Full!   Please contact David directly if you want to get on the waiting list (to do it here, log in, pull up the Member Directory under "Membership", search on his name, click on it, and click "Send Message").

  • November 05, 2016 8:04 AM
    Message # 4365683
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

    This trip is limited to members with a wet exit certification.  To successfully register you will need to sign into your OOPS member account, and your account will need to be a member of the "Wet Exit Certified" group.

    Narrative: Come play at the 3 graces and the mouth of Tillamook bay! We'll launch right around slack and paddle out toward the Three Graces rock formations. The agenda for the day will be based on the conditions. We may paddle out toward the end of the Jetty, or hang out amongst the rocks. This will be a great opportunity to get comfortable playing in and amongst rocks with mildly surging swell and currents. As conditions build we can cross to the south side for a break, then mess around on the eddylines or head back to the Three Graces as the tide rises. We'll ride the dying flood back to the put in. If the group is up for it, we might detour to the Miami River for a quick rinse in fresh water prior to landing in Garabaldi.

    Preference will be given to those who are organizing or plan to organize level 2 or 3 trips for the club. With an incoming current and winds that predominately take us to safety,this is a great venue to stretch your comfort level a little bit and try some flat water skills in a more active water. Rather than just straight-ahead paddling, we'll be spending our time building comfort in a dynamic environment. This is not a class, but a trip with lots of opportunity to work on maneuvering, crossing eddy lines, and rescues.

    Start Point: Garabaldi kayak launch

    End Point: Garabaldi kayak launch

    Route Alternative for bad weather: Probably reschedule

    Required Equipment: Towline, Helmet

    Minimum Immersion Protection: Dry suit

    Primary Organizer: David Dalbey

    Secondary Organizer:

    Has organizer been on this paddle before?: Yes

    Has organizer led an OOPS activity here before?: Yes

    Organizer's first aid & CPR certification current?: Yes

    First Aid / CPR person: David Dalbey

    Max # of participants: 5

    OOPS members only?: Yes

    I certify that I have read, understand, and will conduct this Activity in accordance with the OOPS Activity Policy.: Yes

    Estimated air temperature: 55

    Estimated water temperature: 55

    Estimated water time: 4

    Tide times & heights: 9:56 AM - 3.2 ft.
    3:51 PM - 8.2 ft.

    Current information: Max flood 2.7kts @ 2:07PM


    Wind strength: 3. 12-16 knot (19 mph)

    Swell/Surf size: 3. <3', breaking waves to 2'

    Sea state: 2. large wavelets, scattered whitecaps

    Landing types: 2. docks, moderate slope, brush

    Currents: 3. up to 4 knot

    Total distance: 2. 6 to 11 miles

    Open crossing: 2. less than 1 mile

    Overall rating: 3. level three

    Rating comment: The hope for the trip is that we will be operating in an OOPS level 3 environment.

    Google Location : https://www.google.com/maps/place/45%C2%B033'28.7%22N+123%C2%B054'41.2%22W/@45.557962,-123.9136437,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d45.557962!4d-123.911455

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software