This trip is limited to OOPS members. To successfully register you will need to sign into your OOPS member account.
Note: There is a fee for this event. Payment is required at the time of registration, Members registered from the waitlist are required to make payment when they are put on the roster.
Cancellations: You will not be able to cancel less than 3 days before the event and get a refund.
Full Name: Tom Waldron
Activity Title: Open Pool Practice, L1, 1-28-23
Date of Activity: 1/28/2023
Narrative: Pool Practice at Oregon City Pool. Bring your boat and all your gear. This is your chance to practice all the things that you are unwilling to risk in the open cold water.
Please adhere to the following guidelines:
1. There’s a large fenced concrete pad area for staging boats just outside the pool on John Quincy Adams Street. Do not bring you boat inside the pool facility until the organizer clears entry with pool personnel. Please move your car after you unload your boat to make room for others. There’s adequate parking just down the street.
2. Please arrive with a clean boat. There is a hose inside the facility to wash the chlorine off your gear before leaving.
3. Lockers that can be secured with a lock are available. Bring your own lock or rent one for $1. People usually stow their belongings in their gear bag pool side but it’s up to you. The facility also has a changing area and showers
4. Helmets are strongly encouraged, especially if you are planning to roll. The pool has a shallow and deep end. A snorkel mask will help prevent chlorine from getting into your nose and eyes.
5. A limited amount of registrants can arrange for instruction during the pool session. This must be signed off by the organizer before the event. Members instructing others do not have to pay but are not allowed to bring boats. Total maximum capacity: 12 members – 10 paying and 2 non-paying, 10 boats.
6. Masks are not required inside the pool facility.
7. We are required to have our boats out of the facility by the end of the session. Plan to start removing boats 5 minutes before the end of the hour. Boats can be placed on the fenced concrete staging area just outside the pool. Participants are allowed to reenter the facility to utilize the showers and changing areas after the boats are staged outside.
8. All participants will be required to sign the standard OOPS wavier before the activity begins.
9. Please plan on assisting others load their boats onto their cars after the event.
10. Contact the organizer if you have any questions.
Meeting Time: 3:45:00 PM
Launch Time: 4:00:00 PM
Type of activity: Class
Put in: Oregon City Pool
Take out: same
Route Alternative for bad weather: none
Minimum Immersion protection: None
Primary Organizer: Tom Waldron
Has organizer paddled here before? Yes
Has organizer led an OOPS paddle here before? Yes
Organizer's first aid and CPR current? Yes
First Aid /CPR Person:
Maximum number of paddlers: 10
I certify that I understand and will conduct this activity in accordance with the OOPS Activity Policy: Yes
Estimated Air Temperature: 80
Estimated Water Temperature: 80
Estimated Water Time (including breaks/lunch): 1
Tide times & heights: NA
Current information: NA
Wind strength: Level 1: 0-7 knots (8 mph)
Swell/Surf size: Level 1: Under 1' waves, no breaking waves
Sea state: Level 1: Waves up to the deck seam; water glassy to rippled, no whitecaps
Landing types: Level 1: Frequent easy landing opportunities including gently sloping, sand, gravel or grass
Currents: Level 1: None or mild (less than 1 knot)
Total distance: Level 1: Up to 6 miles
Open crossing: Level 1: No open crossing
Overall rating: Level 1
Location (Optional): https://goo.gl/maps/UnsyfjooZJoVMpKr6
COVID-19 Status of Trip: Participants of this trip may, or may not, be vaccinated for Covid-19