Orcas Island is one of the San Juan Islands which are nestled between Bellingham, Washington and Vancouver Island, British Columbia. While Washington State land use laws provide for few legal kayak landings (most of the shoreline is privately owned), you will find this a paddler's paradise. Lots of little islands await exploration, there are current, wind, and navigation challenges to satisfy paddlers of any level, and the chance to see some of the local orca pods (along with numerous sea lions).
Paddling days will likely be Sept 5-7 (Thursday-Sunday).
Event Manager: Robin Smith
Trip Czar: Rich Becker
Concierge: Kristen Price
Maps or charts:
West Beach Resort : https://www.westbeachresort.com
Additional information: You will find event information on the OOPS website in the Activities Section: Annual Events. Find the event, click on the link, then scroll until you find the current year information. https://oregonoceanpaddlingsociety.wildapricot.org/Annual-Events
The Fine Print:
1) EVERY PERSON, including Trip Organizers and On-site staff, must complete this electronic registration. If you are attending with a non-paddling partner or family member(s), and staying at an OOPS site, please use the "plus guest" registration.
2) Registration fees for this Event are inclusive and cover all days of camping, any additional extra vehicle fee, and other Event expenses, including firewood for group gatherings when fires are allowed and staff and trip supplies.
3) Registration Categories. You will only choose ONE.
1. OOPS Camp Site (inclusive of all camping expenses)
2. OOPS Camp Site + Guest (includes all OOPS event and camping expenses for one member and one non-paddling guest)
3. Off-site accommodation (fee to cover non-camping Event costs)
4. Trip Organizer (confirmed by Trip Czar, either on-site or off-site)
5. Staff (Event Manager, Trip Czar, and one Concierge)
4) You must be a paid-up member of OOPS to paddle at this event, AND you must be wet-exit certified prior to attending the event unless you participate in only Level 1 trips (when available) AND you are NOT wearing a sprayskirt. Non-members are welcome but will not be allowed to participate in OOPS paddling trips. Please be certain to review the Trip Level criteria on the OOPS website if you have any questions: OOPS Rating system: http://www.oopskayak.org/documents/
5) Watch for future emails about potlucks and other social events!
6) Immersion protection may be required, pending water temperature/conditions. See the club website under Resources/OOPS Documents/Activity Policies and scroll down to Cold Water Protective Clothing. Please be prepared.
7) OOPS Cancellation Policy: For all pre-paid events (except pool sessions) cancellations will be allowed a full refund up to within 4 weeks before the beginning of the event. After that, refunds will be provided if, and only if, we are able to find a replacement. Cancellations are done through the Event Manager only. Thank you.