Jon and I have decided not to go, it's been a mix of light snow and rain constantly here for at least a couple hours. Sorry for the late notice!
Good morning! Let's do this! The Weather Underground forecast looks promising for Scappoose. There may be light snow as we're arriving, but the temps should be above freezing. I found that there is no live coverage of local weather on TV on New Year's Day! So much for that "good" idea. Thanks in advance for the treats, Marty! Thanks for checking the weather, Dan. I'm heading out at 8 a.m. Again, I'm available by phone (bluetooth). It's fine to call, but please don't text. 503-510-2005. See you soon! Safe travels!
Here's the latest from Weather Underground website:
Looks like 36ºF at 11:00 with a 29% chance of rain and it will warm up as the day goes on.
1st Annual New Years Day OOPS Paddle: Latest update a couple minutes ago from Scappoose airport has the outlook improving. Paddling temperatures in the mid to upper thirties. Come with a sweet tooth because we'll have plenty of pastries and hot cocoa to warm up with. Loading the boat and gear tonight. Packing warm after paddling clothing sure make the drive home so much more comfortable. I'm looking forward to trying out Christmas paddling gear, Mel, I can't wait to see what new paddling gadgets Santa delivered.
Thank you for organizing this trip. It would be a wonderful way to start the New Year. However, I have decided to not go, based on the weather forecast.
Thank you Chris and all the other TO for your work in putting this together. Please let me know if it is rescheduled for a less treacherous sounding day!
I want you to know that the TOs are keeping a careful eye on the weather. Please check your email tonight and Sunday morning for updates!!! We may change location or date if the roads look treacherous.
I am sorry to say that I must cancel due to illness. I was really looking forward to it. Hopefully there's still time to notify someone on the wait list. Maureen
Hello New Year's Day paddlers,
I'm keeping an eye on the weather! We probably won't know until the day before what kind of conditions we'll be facing. It may be that road ice will be our biggest obstacle. Time will tell! I'm hoping for good conditions!
Going to be awesome!
Hi Marvin, you're #1 on the waitlist, so odds are extremely good that we'll fit you in. I'll stay in touch with you.
Oregon Ocean Paddling SocietyPortland, Oregon